Monday, February 15, 2010

World War I Letter

April 5, 1917

To my darling beautiful wife,

I might be dead long before you read this, but being a doughboy is hard work. The training I got back at home is not really enough for something like trench warfare in France. Most of the members of my group, the Big Red One, are dead because of new chemical warfare. Too bad I may never see our son grow up to be a big strong man. He night never know who his father looks like. I got to kill a couple of Germans with the Frenchies today. They seem rather pleased to see me and my comrades kicking German butts. I haven't seen my friend. Perhaps he is in Africa. General Lemons just killed 50 Germans today, though. I'm planning on beating his record. I still don't get why them Russians decided not to help fight the Germans with us Allies. Maybe there's something wrong back home (could have something to do with Czar Nicholas and Stalin). Anyways, I love you and I hope to see you soon. I'll miss you, really.

Love, now and always
Vinnie Vu

No comments:

Post a Comment